[Nottingham] Ubuntu udev hell

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 19:48:35 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 10:27 +0100, Michael Erskine wrote:
> One of my Ubuntu machines (the one that runs the MAME cabinet) is broken due
> to udev insanity. Here's a list of URLs that might throw some light on what's
> going on - but thus far no proffered solution has worked. I'm frustrated and
> deprived of sleep...
>
> My post on Ubuntu forums...
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=214312
>
> ...so I'm stuck in a BusyBox shell unless I boot to my trusty knoppix CD and
> chroot onto /dev/hda1. I've been able to put some older 2.6.15 ubuntu kernels
> on there with apt-get whilst chrooted but I think udev is broken for them
> all.
>
> The sticky thread on Ubuntu forums...
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1249567&posted=1#post1249567
>
> A couple of online arguments in launchpad where denial and acusations fly...
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/6367/+index
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/40993
>
> Another thread with similar udev issues...
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190496
>
> Some discussion pre-dating the problem(?)...
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ProbeForRootFilesystem
>
> I want to stick a much earlier kernel on there that will play nice with the
> existing dapper setup.
>
> Any suggestions?

boot.
Collect ide resource allocation.
Try defining 'correct' ide device resources as a kernel parameter to
force the issue.
eg. (using standard parameters YMMV)

linux ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14

This is documented in linux/Documentation/ide.txt if you can get to a
copy.  Shout if not and I'll send you one.
> Regards,
> Michael Erskine

Have fun,
Duncan