[Nottingham] k3b

A. Devin Giddings ppxadg at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jul 17 20:46:31 BST 2006

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 05:25:34PM +0100, John Cremona wrote:
> I'm running k3b (for CD burning) on a debian system.  It will not
> actually do the burning unless I login as root, suggesting that there
> are some file permissions incorrectly set.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to where to look?

k3b uses cdrecord for burning; it's the permissions of this program
that are probably causing the problems. Here are things I'd recommend
trying:

i) run "dpkg-reconfigure cdrecord" and check whether the suid bit is
set.
ii) make sure your user is in the cdrom group, using the command
"groups". If not, as root, add them with "adduser <username> cdrom".
iii) edit the file /etc/cdrecord/rscsi and add an entry enabling the
user to run rscsi.

I've also found that there are were some funny 2.6 kernels that would
only let the root user write cds. Which version of debian are you
running, and what kernel?

Regards,

d.
--