[Nottingham] Evolution Fonts

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 01:08:29 BST 2006

Hazel,

> Thankyou for all the nice replys. I use Suse Linux now but I've tried

You're welcome.

> out Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva and many other distros before. Does any one
> know how to make the viewing font bigger in Evolution? I've tried

Good you've tried a few. What was the feature that you liked with Suse
to make you stay with that distro?

> fiddling about in the menus and such but I can't find anything to make
> the text bigger. Does anyone else use Linux for multimedia type things
> like watching DVD's or playing music? I finally found out how to dial up
> the internet from the command line today (I had to configure the wvdial
> text file).

If all the display text is too small, then try altering your general
display settings to the correct dpi (or pixels per inch!) for your
monitor. If you have a recent monitor then 96dpi is likely the right
number. You could also change the default font sizes in the options for
your desktop (config) or in Evolution itself. Have a look around the menus.

There should be no problem to play DVDs and mp3s. You may need to visit
the plf site to download a few extra bits... Search for libcss0,
libdvdcss2 for the DVD stuff, and mp3 for your music.

At the moment, mp3s are the mainstream consumer hit. However, the future
may be with the ogg music file format...

> Yes, Hail Linus! and Hail Richard Stallman too, as he made the GNU
> compiler and Emacs (as well as some other programs).

Yes, good evangelicals and good software are good ;-)
And cute penguins are cool :-) :-)

One of our next fix-it/LAN-party sessions could be a good visit to pick
up some hints and tips.

martin at ml1.co.uk