[Nottingham] LILO dual boot - 2 Linuces on different drives - confused!

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Wed Mar 8 21:27:32 GMT 2006

Right - I'm trying to get Ultima Linux (based on Slackware) to run on this
machine, a few issues have arisen, all of which look solvable given a bit of
time....

For the moment, though, and as this machine runs the printer etc for the
network, I need a 'stable' system to leave running for everyone else - once
I've got Slackware sorted that will (probably) be the stable system!

My idea was to dual-boot Slackware and Mandriva temporarily, with them living
on different hard drives.  But...  if I use the lilo.conf which Slackware
installs, I can't load Mandriva: it grumbles about an invalid initrd.   If I
use Mandriva's lilo.conf, with the Slackware stuff copied in, I can load
Mandriva, but not Slackware (or not properly) - the kernel which is loaded is
the Mandriva one, which then fails to load all sorts of stuff beacuse it's
looking at Slackware's root directory!

Here's my current hybrid lilo.conf (bsaically Mandriva's with Slackware's bit
added):

default="linux"
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
keytable=/boot/uk.klt
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="linux"
	root=/dev/hda1
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append=" resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"
	vga=788

# Ultima Linux bootable partition config begins
  image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hdb1
  label = "UltimaLinux"
  read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends

How can I get the Ultima image on /dev/hdb1 loaded rather than the Mandriva
one on /dev/hda1/?

--
David Aldred