[Nottingham] LILO dual boot - 2 Linuces on different drives - confused!

Robert Postill robert at grinning-cat.com
Wed Mar 8 23:18:22 GMT 2006

David,

David Aldred wrote:

> How can I get the Ultima image on /dev/hdb1 loaded rather than the Mandriva
> one on /dev/hda1/?

If I was to take a punt then I'd start with the idea that you're missing
an initrd from the Ultima section.  initrd provides a mini filesystem
with a bag of drivers inside.  Many distros don't like to inflate the
kernel to an unmanageable size so they put most drivers inside an initrd
(you can uncompress it with gzip and mount it with a command like  mount
-t ext2 -o loop /boot/initrd-evms /mnt/initrd see
http://www.faqs.org/docs/evms/x3834.html for some more info).  Often the
initrd has slight differences between distros so unless you grab pretty
much the entire thing and plonk it onto /dev/hda you'll be pretty much
stuffed trying to mix two kernel images.  The kernel will be expecting
an initrd in many cases so try and check out whether there's an initrd
file on / or /boot. So I'd check /dev/hdb for initrd files (the names
change from distro to distro).  Also check out
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=370995, as that
suggests if you're booting ext2 on IDE you should have that support
already built into the kernel.  Have you installed on ext2?
Robert.