[Nottingham] LILO dual boot - 2 Linuces on different drives - confused!

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Thu Mar 9 19:53:22 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 08 Mar 2006 23:18, Robert Postill wrote:
> David,
>
> David Aldred wrote:
> > How can I get the Ultima image on /dev/hdb1 loaded rather than the
> > Mandriva one on /dev/hda1/?
>
> If I was to take a punt then I'd start with the idea that you're missing
> an initrd from the Ultima section.  ... Often the
> initrd has slight differences between distros so unless you grab pretty
> much the entire thing and plonk it onto /dev/hda you'll be pretty much
> stuffed trying to mix two kernel images.

That makes a lot of sense, and having now done a bit of googling for 'lilo
initrd' I've found other guidance suggesting that this is exactly what I need
to do - copy the vmlinuz and initrd.gz across to /dev/hda1 (changing the
names to avoid overwriting, of course!)   In fact, vmlinuz on the Ultima
installation is a link to another file there - so I need to copy the actual
file, not the link.

> Also check out
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=370995, as that
> suggests if you're booting ext2 on IDE you should have that support
> already built into the kernel.  Have you installed on ext2?

Both systems are installed on ext2 - if the first option above doesn't work
I'll check this one, though I'd assume that if either can cope with ext2 then
one coping with the other being on ext2 should be reasonably expected
behaviour!

I'll report back after this reboot - unless Something Nasty happens!

--
David Aldred