[Nottingham] BT Broadband / Linux

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 09:00:37 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 22:27, Andy Etches wrote:
> > When I do get the time is there somewhere that I can easily find
> > instructions on how to do stuff like configure, make, make install ?
> > Apologies if this question has some of you shaking your heads and
> > wondering if we Newbies know anything at all !!
> generally, untar the source, go into the source directory and do;
> ./configure
> make
> (sudo if not root) make install
> and it should be installed :D if that fails there is probably a missing
> dependancy, the error message should be enough ;)

I recommend reading the variously named README/BUILD/INSTALL files first as
they generally contain essential information e.g. "this will clobber all your
files in /etc unless you run configure with --prefix=/usr/local" :) .

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
The best thing about growing older is that it takes such a long time.