[Nottingham] Apache setup issues

pat gadget.pat at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 27 04:09:07 BST 2006

Hi group,

Hope you are all well.  It's been a while since I've been able to post
(limited play time on the pc)or get to any meets (due to working shifts)
but I won't give up trying. Anyway to the issues at hand as I have two,
but in seperate mails...

Issue 1

I have just installed Apache web server 2.2.0 onto a suse10 pc.  The
install has gone well and I get the "it works!" message. This is where I
am stuck. I have been following the instructions from LX Format issue77
and it says that I should double click on the link I have created on my
desktop and it should ask for a password. It dosn't. It says "Couldn't
display dav://admin@localhost/uploads".

I have done searches and read what the error message means on the apache
website but nothing I have done seems to have solved the problem.  I
have the feeling that it is a simple thing I am missing or that there is
an error in the mag (eg. the info on how to uncompress a file in the mag
had me stumped for a while until I realised that they had given details
on how to unzip bz not gz).  Could it be something similar (wrong info
in mag) or am i missing something obvious?  I have changed, tested,
enabled different bits in different locations and have forgotten some of
what I have changed now.  I have the urge to uninstall the program and
re-install so that it is back to the original state, but I haven't found
an easy way to uninstall stuff as yet either.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed from here?

Sorry for the essay.

Thanx
pat