[Nottingham] Bandwidth shaping *correction*

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Fri May 5 12:26:49 BST 2006

>> If anyone could shed any light it would be greatly appreciated :)

Can you actually use tc on VLAN interfaces these days? I seem to remember a
few years ago it would only work with "real" interfaces and would barf on
bridge/vlan stuff.

Would it be possible to put the limiting on the eth0 side for traffic
destined for the eth1.10 vlan segment?

To be honest I gave in with tc a while ago as I found it to be a total
nightmare ;)  I've been using a modified (userspace) shaperd tool to shape
bandwidth on our network. For our OS torrents I allow upto 100Mbit to go out
on peering and substantially less if its using a transit provider. I have
this setup on our Linux "single ended" routers with VLAN running on top of 4
bonded nics using iptable rules with "-j QUEUE" which then gets shaped by
the userspace daemon. It isn't as flexible as tc in any way (and probably a
lot more resource hungry), but since this is the only thing we shape it
"works for me".

Regards,
 ChrisB.