[Nottingham] Bandwidth shaping *correction*

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri May 5 20:17:31 BST 2006

Chris Burton wrote:
>>> If anyone could shed any light it would be greatly appreciated :)
>
> Can you actually use tc on VLAN interfaces these days? I seem to
[---]
> Would it be possible to put the limiting on the eth0 side for traffic
> destined for the eth1.10 vlan segment?
>
> To be honest I gave in with tc a while ago as I found it to be a total
> nightmare ;)  I've been using a modified (userspace) shaperd tool to
> shape bandwidth on our network. For our OS torrents I allow upto 100Mbit
[---]

Interesting...

I'm using tc for various shapings with good success. However, I've never
tried it for an aliased interface although you should be able to do
shaping depending on IP address (range) if you wish.

Not looked at shaperd (yet... :-) )

Aside: Also making good use of mrtg that then lets you see what happens!
I've also good some tweaks on there that I think look more useful than
smokeping...

Alex, might your bandwidth be limited by your host machine being an old
slow beast?...

martin at ml1.co.uk