[Nottingham] What distro?

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 24 09:30:58 BST 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 19:07, Jim wrote:
> My colleague at work is thinking about 'making the switch' :)
<snip criteria/>
> Recommendations, chaps?

Jim,

Like ALL distos AND all other operating systems, support for restricted
formats will either have to be added yourself (usually at zero cost and
minimal effort) or if it IS included it will be paid for in the sticker price
(if the distro wishes to remain legal).

I don't know of any distro that meets your _exact_ criteria out of the box. If
there is such a distro then it must be a "one size fits all" distro, and
anybody knows that "one size fits all" equates to BIG!

All the major distros meet your criteria _if_ you or you friend are willing to
update the system after initial install. You _DO_ want to make use of the
security updates that your distro provides don't you? So why not just install
the additional parts you need for MP3 support while you're at it? You want to
run NetBeans? Want a JDK/JRE? You won't find them on any
freely-redistributable distro (one that you can just hand to your friend
without breaking some law or other) -- you have to download install that
software yourself. Now that's not the fault of any of the distro producers:
that's the fault of the restrictive licensing of Sun. You may find this
software on a commercial distro but it will have been paid for either with
money or freedom. You can't just give a copy of a commercial distro to a
friend -- read the small print. Buyer beware!

Like others have pointed out, it isn't difficult to install additional
components to make YOUR Linux install just right. The package management
tools for most Linux distributions make the world of Windows software
installation look absolutely pathetic -- and let's face it, this is where
your friend is coming from.

BTW: does Windows support MP3 out of the box? I thought WMP required an
additional download -- it certainly did in W2K but, I agree, that was ages
ago! Windows comes with a JRE but woe betide any poor fool who attempts to
use it! Are we comparing apples to apples here? My recommendation: choose ANY
reasonably popular distro, read the FAQs and make it work for YOU.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Love thy neighbor, tune thy piano.