[Nottingham] What distro?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed May 24 14:16:27 BST 2006

Michael Erskine wrote:
[---]
> Like others have pointed out, it isn't difficult to install additional
> components to make YOUR Linux install just right. The package management
> tools for most Linux distributions make the world of Windows software
> installation look absolutely pathetic -- and let's face it, this is where
> your friend is coming from.
[---]

I'll second that after a few hours wasted with WinXP last night!

A friend has just got one of those new picture-&-mp3-thingie mobile
"phone" multifunction gizmo things and tried installing the Windows
support software for it, only to be given error dialogues to say that
SP2 must be installed... So what's an "SP2" to a mere user?

Hence, a mercy mission last night to help out and... a few hours
later(!) and... SP2 cannot be installed because the OEM license key for
that Windows machine is not recognised! Neither is the registration key
as printed on the multi-coloured sticker on the box. And it got too late
for the Microsoft 3Rs (reformat, reinstall, reboot).

Ubuntu went on a dual boot with the greatest of ease and even configured
fine for the Epson colour printer. Still doesn't recognise the mobile
phone thingie as anything other than an "unknown" USB device :-(

I'm sure that mini-saga is set to continue :-/

Looks set to be interesting as to which of Microsoft vs Ubuntu will win
for a blindly impatient point 'n' click addict!

And yes, most packaged Linux installs are far easier than the various
Windows install wizards and sign away all your personal details
registration stuff... (OK, slight bias :-) )

martin at ml1.co.uk