[Nottingham] MySQL backed nameserver

Tom Bird tom at marmot.org.uk
Thu Nov 2 23:14:24 GMT 2006

Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On 02/11/2006 17:47, Tom Bird wrote:
>> SQL backing DNS is retarded, use dynamic zones.
>
> Well hello, Mr Opinionated! Once again Tom lands with a fair and
> even-handed appraisal of the various technical approaches being
> discussed and suggests another one in useful amounts of detail.
>
> </sarcasm>
>
> SQL backing DNS is an appropriate solution for many situations, old
> chap, especially in very large systems where the startup time is
> critical. For me, an SQL-backended DNS server with the ability to handle
>  DDNS updates with TSIG keys would be perfect, only such a system
> doesn't (currently) exist.

Well, the idea behind bind-dlz is a good one, and should be introduced
into the main BIND release IMO, however I do feel that backing it with
SQL databases is just pure folly.  I recently was the happy recipient of
a DNS attack of some kind, I still am not sure exactly why it happened
but I was seeing upwards of 10Mbit/s of DNS traffic at times on my two
hosted resolvers, thousands of queries a second (imagine the size of a
query packet and you get some idea).  BIND running as it does served the
queries and shrugged it off with a few percent of CPU used.

Now imagine each query hits a full fat database rather than the quick
and cheap DB, optimised for serving DNS internal to BIND.  Plop, there
go my services.

> I could've sworn I already mentioned dynamic DNS, anyway.

Probably did.  I mentioned it again :)

--
Tom

// we only came to kick some ass