[Nottingham] Ubuntu USB Voyager Modem - nice try!

Dallas Simpson waterpump at waterpump.force9.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 09:55:37 GMT 2006

 Hi Guys,

tried doing this in Ubuntu V4, came totally unstuck at step 4

The editor came up blank and I could not save the single command - dabusb

The file structure appeared to be absent!!

Ideas????

Dallas.
HOWTO - Install BT Voyager modem drivers
Anybody in the UK who has signed up for broadband from the big ISP's (BT,
AOL, etc) will find that their 'free' modem isn't technically a modem. These
'modems' are what we in the Linux world call Winmodems, because they require
a software based driver to mess with all the 00101101's instead of using a
hardware chip found in other modems.

These modems are usually fine for day-to-day work such as web browsing and
e-mail. They plug into your computer using USB instead of Ethernet. Other
than the fact they can sometimes have high ping times, they are perfect for
large scale distribution.

The problems start when you want to start using your USB modem with Ubuntu.
Companies like BT haven't released any drivers for Linux so the community
has made a reverse-engineered driver.

In this HowTo, I will walk you through the installation of the eciadsl
driver.

Step 1) Get everything set up.

If this is your first dive into the Linux world, some of this tutorial may
seem strange and archaic. Don't worry because I'm going to hold your hand
all the way through and try my best to explain each step.

So then, before we really start, you will need to get hold of some physical
things;

A nice cool and refreshing drink

A computer/partition/friend that has access to the Internet

A blank floppy disk/zip drive/USB stick/CD-R/ or something to transfer media
from one place to another.

And a stockpile of patience

Unplug the modem from the USB port

Step 2) Acquiring the software

With your friends computer, download the file
http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/download....11-1_i386.deb and the file
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...untu1_i386.deb from the Internet.

Once those two files are download; burn them to a CD using your favourite CD
burning program, or transfer them to a USB drive. The aim is to get this
media somehow onto your Ubuntu install.

Log into your Ubuntu computer and go to Places > Home Folder. Now open the
device the used to transfer the media. Simply drag and drop the files from
the CD to the Home Folder. Those files are now safe on your Ubuntu
installation.

Step 3) Installing the buggers

Because this HowTo is sort of breaking away from the way programs are
normally installed, we are going to have to whip out the trusty Terminal
program. Fear not, the things you will be typing are probably the most basic
commands in Linux.

Start off by going to Applications > Accessories > Terminal. This will bring
up the Terminal program. The only text in the black window should be your
username @ the name of your computer followed by a :~$ . This tells us that
the command line is ready and waiting for orders. Start off by typing in

Code:

ls

That is LS, but in lowercase; not an i. When you type that command in, you
will see every file and folder that is inside your home folder.

Next, we are going to install the files you took off the floppy disk. At the
time of writing this the files were called:

eciadsl-usermode_0.11-1_i386.deb
and
pppoe_3.5-4ubuntu1_i386.deb

To install the files type in the Terminal window:

Code:

sudo dpkg -i pppoe_3.5-4ubuntu1_i386.deb

Let that install (few seconds) then type in:

Code:

sudo dpkg -i eciadsl-usermode_0.11-1_i386.deb

Like before, some text should come flying downwards.

Phew! OK that is probably the hardest bit gone now - take a nice sip of your
cool refreshing drink that you got from Step 1)

We have now installed the drivers to the system, what is left now is
configuring the driver.

Step 4) Configuring the driver

In the Terminal type in:

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/hotplug/blacklist

This will bring up a text editor. In the file, add the word dabusb to the
end. This will tell the system not to try and load up the USB modem when it
boots (that is eciadsl's job from on). Save, exit and restart the computer.

Once you have rebooted and are logged in, open the terminal again and type
in:

Code:

eciadsl-config-tk

This will bring up a very ugly configuration program. This is where the fun
begins. In all the text boxes, fill them according to whatever they should
be:-

user name: You should have been given an e-mail user name when you signed up
password: [i]Whatever[i]
provider: British Telecom
DNS1: Accept default
DNS2: Accept default
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
modem type: BT Voyager 105
VID1/PID1/VID2/PID2: accept defaults
modem chipset: GS7470
synch file: /etc/eciadsl/gs7470_synch03.bin
PPP mode: Accept default
is DHCP used? no
is a static ip used? no
Once all that is filled in, check it again and click the green Create Config
button. Your done with that window. Now plug in your USB Modem and type in:-

Code:

/usr/bin/eciadsl-start

This should make the lights come on and flash about for a bit. If so, the
Internet is now your oyster!