[Nottingham] Where is everyone? (& LAN party)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 12:34:16 GMT 2006

Jim Moore wrote:
> I was a little distracted - just round the corner unjamming somebody's (read:
> mine) rifle. Also, my brother managed to get his PCP to dump on him, which
> also required a bit of surgery (read: percussive maintenance) to put right.

Doesn't that sort of thing cause a backfire and a cloud of soot and
black smoke at the WRONG end of the barrel?

And doesn't it require a certain care about banging those things??!

Tap, tap, tap, thump, thump, wallap BOOM!

> Oh, yeah; and I was having so much fun blowing bottle caps to bits I plum
> forgot! :\ Not that I had any money for even a half anyway...
>
> Aaaaanyway.

The strange things people do in long dark holes! Meanwhile, we prefer to
gently take the caps off so that we can then drink the stuff below the
aforementioned caps without too much explosive fizz bang.

> I've got on my list for the 12th: one 24-port switch, I'll also bring a dozen
> ethernet cables of 2m-10m lengths, two laptops (one running SuSE, the other
> Wintendo for the inevitable LAN party), a couple power strips and some Intel
> Pro Wireless PCMCIA cards (which I'll be banging out at a pantwetting tenner
> a pop). There'll probably be a couple Edimax 22MBit cards in the mix as well,
> if I can find those. And of course, the customary collection of Linux
> CDs/DVDs. :) Anything else needed hardware/component-wise? Gimme a yell, I'll
> see what I have and what I can fit on the bike. No Lian-Li cases! :p

All good. I'm sure there'll be no problems for help carrying gear up.
There's a secure-ish area around the back and for the paranoid I can
also bring a heavyweight chain and webcam. A project for the day could
be to wire the webcam to a bazooka with suitable software...

I'll be bringing some spares to exchange also.

We'll be keeping someone posted on the door to the place in any case.

> Speaking of wireless: will a wireless router be required for
> testing/connection? If so, I can supply a Belkin 54g with ethernet connection
> + 4-port switch, so we can slave it to the wired network or connect it
> straight in, or even just leave it as a tailless wireless testing box.
> Is there any chance of being able to park a pushbike inside at the venue? I'm
> asking because it'll be carrying everything, and I don't fancy a half dozen
> trips up and down the stairs with the gear.

Wireless welcomed also. We can set up multiple LANs depending on how
adventurous we want to play!

> Last question (promise!): what time's the pre-event doors opening, for setting
> up?

11:45am toget first bootup for 12:15pm.

A second switch has been promised and I'm bringing a
server/firewall/internet setup and various bits.

See you there,

All welcome,

martin at ml1.co.uk