[Nottingham] [Social] Wed 29/11/06 Beeston Blue Moon Beers

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 15:45:37 GMT 2006

Martin wrote:
[---]
> I had a bit of a mood on re Microsoft which wasn't helped either by NTL
> losing most of my incoming email yesterday.
[---]

Well, upon further checking it appears that NTL were blameless. The
problem was further afield for my "ml1" redirecting:

####
You may have experienced some network accessibility issues yesterday, if
so I would like to take this opportunity to explain what happened.

UK2 were the victim of an incident called “IP Hijacking” which means
that another organisation (an Indonesian ISP in fact) stole a part of
the IP address space which belonged to UK2. This is a very rare
occurrence and is due to the unrestricted nature and varying levels of
security in some parts of the internet (read more at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_hijacking). The impact was that some
customers traffic was routed incorrectly, causing sporadic network
downtime, delays and in a minority of cases the loss of data.

May I apologise for this inconvenience and re-assure that you that the
UK2 team worked extremely hard to identify and rectify this problem, and
all services were fully operational and back to normal last night. We
also took immediate action to reinforce our network even further.
####

Erk! :-(

martin at ml1.co.uk