[Nottingham] re: Belkin wireless USB stick and Linux (Hazel Windle)

Jim Moore james at the-computer-shop.co.uk
Sun Oct 1 12:38:08 BST 2006

A little googling brings...

=*= QUOTE
Originally Posted by NdisWrapper Wiki
# Card: Belkin F5D7050 (USB 2.0 Adaptor 802.11g 54Mbps)

* Chipset: Conexant (PrismUSB)
* usbid: 050D:7050
* Driver: Install the drivers for windows included in the box and fetch
the .inf and .sys fyles from the installation directory.
* Other: linux-2.6.9: Blocks Linux momentarily when another device is plugged
into the same USB Hub, more precisely a 1.1 memory stick.
* Other: SuSE 9.1, kernel-2.6.8-default (kernel-of-the-day 22 Dec. 2004):
1.0rc1 with bknUSB.inf from the vendor CD and WEP security works quite
stable. The procedure as described in WiKi/SuSE 9.1. Professional.
* Other: SuSE 9.1, kernel-2.6.x-smp: doesn't work, 'modprobe ndiswrapper'
freezes the system.

# Card: Belkin F5D7050 (USB 2.0 Adaptor 802.11g 54Mbps)

* Chipset: RT2500
* usbid: 050d:7050
* Driver: Install the drivers for windows included in the box and fetch
the .inf files from the installation directory.
* Other: Works fine. When entering in resume mode, freeze the system.

# Card: Belkin F5D7050E (USB 2.0 Adaptor 802.11g 54Mbps)

* Chipset: Accton Technology Corp.
* usbid: 083a:f503
* Driver: Install the drivers for windows included in the box and fetch
the .inf files from the installation directory.
* Other: Suse 10.1, kernel 2.6.16.13-4-default, ndiswrapper 1.20rc1
* Other: Works fine. Stops working from time to time requiring an
unplug-replug.

=*= END QUOTE

There you are. Three different chips for the same model. Confused? You will
be. FWIW, wireless has always been a problem in Linux because of this.

NB: I attempted, and succeeded, to install a Conexant/Prism USB wireless model
(Belkin 54g) on SuSE 9.2 using the native Prism chipset support. Only problem
I had was I had a blind wifi router, so the connection couldn't be tested
properly, but it did manage to obtain an IP address.
--
Linux Cluster Solutions -*- http://dotware.co.uk/
Registered Linux user #426308 -*- http://counter.li.org