[Nottingham] Career change + perl.

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Wed Oct 4 16:13:51 BST 2006

On 03/10/06, Godfrey Nix <godfrey at gnnix.co.uk> wrote:

> I agree. I have been working on a development over the last couple of
> years that follows many of the current thoughts in programming -
> "Agile", Service oriented architecture, workflow, and business process
> reorganisation and I feel that Perl is by far the better for this sort
> of work than PHP. For one thing, writing in PHP permits the intermixing
> of processing and HTML (it was designed that way!) far more than Perl
> does. I want to keep the processing and the web content SEPARATE! (Yes,
> I know you can fill a perl program with lots of large print statements -
> yuk!).

I understand what you're saying, but surely if you're the one writing
the code then it's a moot point? I write my web pages almost
exclusively in php and separate the html and processing and keep the
html and processing pretty much separate. Just because php allows the
intermixing of the two doesn't mean you have to.

If other people are involved that's another thing altogether of course.

Cheers,

Roger