[Nottingham] Time zone confusion

Ashley ashley.arb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 11:53:03 BST 2006

Hi folks,

First the simple questions...

What is the best time zone to set on a Linux server in the UK?  It runs
Samba and Apache services for the local network.

How do I see what time zone is in use on Slackware Linux system?

How do I change time zones on a Slackware Linux system?  I think one machine
is on GMT and the other on BST

If I change the time zone will it cause any problems?

On an ext2 file system are the dates stored in local time or UTC?  Is the
time zone also stored?

If I move a hard disk with ext2 partitions between machines with different
time zones will the file times affected?

Do ssh and rsync resolve time zone differences?

Does Samba have any timezone settings?

Background to my problem...

I've just replaced a disk in my file server with a larger one.  Having
transfered all the files (photographs) to the new disk and fitted I noticed
that the file times displayed in Window Explorer are one hour out for all
files (regardless if they were created winter or summer).  This is apparant
because I prefix the file names created by the camera with a date/time
string (i.e. yyyymmddhhmmss) during the transfer from the camera card (the
script gets the date/time from the file timestamp on the CF card).  The
photographs are transfered from the camera card via a PCMCIA adaptor in the
Linux server (i.e. not via samba).  I do not recall this descrepency before
I replaced the disk, but it is possiable I just did not notice it before.
The file times displayed on the file server appear to be correct so I hope
it's just a Samba configuration problem.  The new disk was fitted in a
different machine and the file transfer was done initially via scp and then
updated using rsync.  Both disks have ext2 file systems.  A new file created
via samba has the correct time in windows explorer, but ls -l on the file
server displays it one hour previous (the date command on the file server
returns GMT).  My plan is to first check my fileserver is on the correct
time zone and that samba is configured correctly.

Thanks,
Ashley