[Nottingham] Time zone confusion

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Sat Oct 7 13:01:17 BST 2006

>> What is the best time zone to set on a Linux server in the UK?  It
>> runs Samba and Apache services for the local network.
>
> Depends what you need, unless there is a pressing need to set to UTC use
> GMT with daylight saving option

I run nearly all of my boxes in UTC, I just find it easier in the logs to
compare what happened when with other boxes.

>> How do I change time zones on a Slackware Linux system?  I think one
>> machine is on GMT and the other on BST
>
> Have to say Ive never tried but the date command (check the manpage)
> should be able to do it for you

I normally just do a "ln -f /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime" but
there's probably a more "proper" ways to do it, in Slackware I think its
timeconfig (I'd check but my slack box isn't powered up).

ChrisB.