[Nottingham] Time zone confusion

Ashley ashley.arb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 14:01:31 BST 2006

Thanks Michael,

I did mean scp and scp -p preserves timestamps.

One detail I failed to mention is that I run rsync over an ssh connection.

So if I understand correctly...
- all linux timestamps are stored as number of seconds from epoch, so there
is no way they should have been screwed up transfering files and swapping
disks between linux systems with ext2 partitions regardless of the time zone
setting.

I found a script /usr/sbin/timeconfig (Slackware) that gives the options
"GB", "GB-Eire", "GMT", "GMT+0", "Greenwich", "London" amongst others.  When
you say "use GMT with daylight saving option" which one will that be?

The file that defines the local time in Slackware seems to be /etc/localtime
and appears to be created by linking to one of the files in
/usr/share/zoneinfo.  Once I figure out which option to choose then I'll run
the script because it's probably safer.

The CF card is FAT16 format, and the camera is set to the 'actual' time (no
timezone settings and I have to manually change it when the clocks change).
Does linux treat FAT16 timestamps as UTC, or does it depend on the time zone
setting?

Thanks,
Ashley