[Nottingham] LaTeX talk proposal

Jonathan john00 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 01:58:21 BST 2006

Good evening!

Hope everyone is well and good.

At the last social I casually proposed giving my maiden talk for the
group, 'An introduction to the LaTeX typesetting system'. A couple of
you expressed interest and suggested I posted to the mailing-list
outlining my plans.

I've bashed together a quick synopsis of what I think would be the
appropriate format for such a talk. If their are any additional topics
you would like to see here just give me a shout me I'll try fit them
in!

=====================================
An introduction to the LaTeX typesetting system.
=====================================

*** An Introduction ***

- Why LaTeX? Advantages (and disadvantages over WYSIWYG systems).
Note: Addressing this largely from a personal perspective in using
LaTeX for my undergraduate mathematics studies.
- From TeX to LaTeX: History and development.
- Basic LaTeX architecture. Platform independence.
- LaTeX distributions (with particular emphasis on running LaTeX on LINUX!!).

... then on to the main meat of the talk, *** Creating documents using LaTeX ***

- I'll cover the necessary syntax and basic commands you need to get
started writing documents.

...and time permitting, *** Additional features ***

- LaTeX for presentations.
- Typesetting mathematics (where LaTeX really stands out!).

I'm not entirely sure what the administrative protocols are for giving
talks, but if committee want's me to go ahead and prepare the talk,
just give me a date and I'll get to work.

Best Regards, Jonathan.