[Nottingham] how to proceed

John stellafan at jjsh.org
Fri Sep 1 01:42:06 BST 2006

Reet

KUbuntu is doing my head in. It seems really clunky on a dual boot
machine that runs XP fine ( well, as fine as XP can actually run!). I
have stuck with it for a few weeks, however, I think it is me ~ I spent
some time practicing on a laptop with Vector Linux, and I think I have
subconsciously got used to XFCE, so I want to toast KUbuntu, and put
XUbuntu on to make the learning curve more shallow. I find myself
plotting death threats to the silly 'bubbles' that come up when I move
my mouse around, rather than actually learning about Linux, which was my
intention. Daft, I know, but I think I need to concentrate on the core
Linux stuff rather than learning how to get a desktop environment to
work the way I like it ~ I can always evaluate that aspect later. So.....

My current set-up on this machine is as follows; Primary HD on the 1st
IDE channel, 2nd on the, er, 2nd. XP on the 1st, Linux on the 2nd. The
boot loader (Grub?) is on the 1st. My plan is to drop to an XP recovery
console, 'repair' the MBR, then toast the 2nd drive and finally go
through the XUbuntu install process. I've got 80 GB of data on the
primary, that I don't really want to have to shove over a wireless
network to my NAS. Obviously, I'm taking a risk here, but that aside,
does this sound like a good plan of action?

Any advice more than welcome. ( I really must try and get to a NLUG
event....)