[Nottingham] Rt2500 wireless card, ubuntu dapper, WPA

David Deans david.deans at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 23:23:01 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 22:50 +0100, John Cremona wrote:
> I have a rt2500 wireless card on my laptop and a wireless access point
> talking happily to each other, but using WEP.  One day I intend to
> reconfigure it all to work with WPA for greater security but have
> never got round to it...since it works as it is and I will probably
> break something!   (The WAP is attached to a server running SUSE 9.3,
> the laptop runs debian, but there's at least one XP user in the house
> who would not be pleased if she were cut off...)
>
> So I have not answered your question, but am not sure what you don't
> like about what you have!

the problem seems to be that i can't seem to get my ascii pass phrase to
work on any wifi implementation in WAP. It doesn't work in Linux, and it
doesn't work on my girlfriend's Windows wireless laptop - which uses an
Intel Centrino chip.

The arrangement is fine for just me, but I'm not looking forward to
entering hex keys on each of my four other housemates' computers, once
they've all moved in. WPA "just works", compared to my experiences with
WEP.

For added security, and to counter the perceived probs with WEP, i've
used approved mac address lists - but again this will take hassle. I'd
rather just use WPA - have the hassle on my end and make it easier for
everyone else...

I don't know what is stopping the ascii passphrases from working - if
they did i would be much happier about the situation...

dave