[Nottingham] The quickest distro in NLUG

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 12:12:17 BST 2006

Martin

> For my thoughts, I think this is likely more a question of which distro
> is smallest/leanest that still gets the job done.

I think you'll see a much bigger performance difference for things being
configured properly. Recent hardware like SATA disks and graphics cards
can run slowly in compatability modes or can run a lot faster when
driven properly. I have seen this with my laptop (SATA disk and radeon
x300 graphics). Running bleeding edge Fedora test code the performance
was first low, then went up and down with software upgrades (it's up
currently :)

Also things like working suspend improve the quality of life. Start work
in seconds instead of waiting a minute or so for boot - that's a good
performance boost.

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--