[Nottingham] The quickest distro in NLUG

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Thu Sep 14 15:46:46 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 11:09 +0100, Martin wrote:

> Kustom Kompiled Kernels Is Kwick whatever distros...?

In my experience, custom compiled kernels don't make much difference on
most hardware except in corner cases.  I believe this is partly down to
the way the kernel is coded. (more like using C as a portable assembler)

Compiler optimisations are likely to make a bit more difference in
application code.  Even then, the difference made is minimal compared to
efficient algorithmic design for instance.

As an example, if you want GNOME to be faster then run one of the recent
releases.  Lots of performance work has been done that will make more
difference than all the compiler optimisation flags in the world.[1]

--
Martin.

[1] with the possible exception of -O2 in some cases.