[Nottingham] The quickest distro in NLUG

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Sep 15 00:37:08 BST 2006

Derek Huskisson wrote:
> On Thursday 14 September 2006 20:35, Martin wrote:
>> Martin wrote:
>
>> Has anyone compared the pros/cons of -O2 or -O3 vs -Os?
>>
>> (Compiler optimisations for speed vs optimise for smallest code.)
>
> There's this which details some work carried out on fedora 3.
>
> 	http://www.lovesunix.net/spaceoptimization.pdf

Thanks for that.

Rather interesting for the approx 5% improvement due to the smaller code
size allowing the Pentiums to make better use of their cache.

For non-compute intensive applications, the space saving may well be a
winner. But I'll stay with the "it depends" answer until more examples
are seen or experimented with.

Anyone else?

martin at ml1.co.uk