[Nottingham] Talk - Thursday 19th April

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 21:15:08 BST 2007

Jason Cozens wrote:
> Martin Lomas has asked me to give a talk about the work I'm doing on
> scheduling and the GNU Hurd.

Thanks Jason for volunteering!

> It will be a bit rough, but the things I've been looking at are:
>
>         - Commodity Computing
>
>         - Making Operating Systems Reliable and Secure
>
>         - The Problem With Threads
>
>         - Gnu Mach and MicroKernels (L4 and QNX)
>
>         - History of Gnu Hurd
>
>         - A Critique of Gnu Hurd
>
>         - Eager Queues (My stuff mainly in c# at the moment)
>
>         - Scheduling
>
>         - Why are silicon chips so small?
>
> I can try and get something coherent out of this.
> What do people want to know about?
> I've got a live CD of the Hurd which I can show.
> I'm working on the 4 CD install at the moment.

I've certainly got a few interests in all that very expansive lot. What
do others want to hear?

Is this good for two or more talks?!... ;-)

> On a practical note what equipment will be available?
> Is there a projector?

We have a room, projector (VGA connector) and power. I'm sure a laptop
can be conjured up if needed also.

> I can bring a box for running the Hurd but is there something I can show
> an OpenOffice.org presentation on?

Laptop or desktop 'box'? As mentioned, a plea could go out for a laptop.

Comments?

martin at ml1.co.uk