[Nottingham] Scanners

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 23:53:29 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 14:37 +0100, Roger Light wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm after replacing a scanner at work which is on its last legs. Can
> anybody recommend an A4 flatbed scanner that works with Linux, uses USB
> and can be purchased somewhere in England :)
>
> I've gone through ebuyer, dabs, komplett, xma, scan and compared their
> list of scanners with the one on the "Sane Supported Devices" website
> and come up short. I've found just *one* scanner of around £100 or less
> that has any support at all (the Mustek ScanExpress 1200CU+ from
> ebuyer), but I'd be interested it anybody can offer any other
> suggestions.

Not USB but I have a HP Photosmart 3200 All-in-One
printer/scanner/copier (also has a SD/CF/XD/MS slots and a USB slot) sat
on the desk beside me.  It attaches to the network. xsane works mostly
( occasionally gets it's knickers in a twist and tells you the scanner
is busy when it isn't ).
There is also a "usable for basic scanning" web interface and the front
panel lets you scan directly to a memory device or print from one
without a computer.
The memory device slots are exported as (netbios) SMB and therefore
accessible from linux.
Oh - and it has a slide adapter for the scanner , the printer works
and I am told it works under windows too.

Have fun,
Duncan