[Nottingham] Network question - google unreachable?!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 02:14:17 BST 2007

vanschoo at speakeasy.net wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Just a quick update re this problem. The apartment complex's IT
> people have replaced their router, and now the urls resolve
> correctly. Not the most satisfying resolution, as I still don't know
> what the real problem & fix was.
>
> I no longer have to put ip addresses into the browser to get to
> google. The problem was apparently connected with the router or maybe...

It may just have been that their "router" was trying to cache or even
firewall DNS requests. Another possiblility is that it may well just
have been suffering from too many simultaneous connections and that the
problem wasn't DNS at all.

Few seem to realise that cheapie modem routers are intended for single
user use and often only have table space for up to just 32 or so
connections. A good way to blow that is with a single bittorrent fileshare!

martin at ml1.co.uk