[Nottingham] Broadband Providers - Recommendations?

Simon Osborne flibble at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 20:00:09 BST 2007

On 09/08/07, Peter Aldred <peter at aldred.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning a move to a new flat sometime soon, so I'm going to have
> to get a new ISP. I was wondering if any of you had had good/bad
> experiences with any particular providers, and whether you could make
> any recommendations, particularly for on that plays nicely with Linux?
>
> The flat's in the Ice House next door to the Nottingham Arena Ice
> Stadium. Near as I can make out, the postcode's NG1 1LA (I've been to
> see it, but not been given the full info yet). I'm told the connection
> is through a BT line, so NTL/Virgin is not possible. I'm also trying
> to keep my options flexible, so I don't want to commit to a contract
> for more than 6 months. I'm a fairly heavy user, so I'd be after at
> least 4Mb and a fairly high, if any, bandwidth cap.

I've checked with Virgin and they definitely don't have the Ice House cabled
so you will be stuck with ADSL or Wireless though I Need Broadband.

I'm on Orange broadband. £19.99 for 8MB and a free wifi router. I don't know
what the caps are but I download a lot of stuff from Usenet and Bittorrent
which run into gigabytes without any trouble.

The good thing about ADSL is the contract isn't fixed to the property, and
you can take it with you if you move elsewhere. I can't remember if we are
in a 6month or 12month contract here. If you can handle an 18month contract,
you can get yourself a free laptop from Orange if you sign up in a PC world.
No catches apart from the 18month contract.

Simon