[Nottingham] Firewall and port issue

gadget.pat gadget.pat at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 23 13:27:25 BST 2007

Michael Erskine wrote:

> Yes, I'd move that up the todo list to nearer the top! Otherwise expect a
> brute-force attack as soon as someone discovers it! I'd make the router HTTP
> interface only accessible from within the LAN and use port-knocking or a
> crazy high port number in the 40000's (security by obscurity!) for SSH into
> the LAN from which you'll still be able to access it from the outside (if you
> get what I mean). That's what I do and it seems at least OK!
>
> Regards,
> Michael Erskine.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the advice. I was using a method of leaving things as
standard until I got them working but now that it is, I can get back to
being paranoid again :-) It had got to the point that the world and his
dog could have had access to my LAN but I needed to remove all the
possible issues that might have been the problem.

Security now back in place.

Cheers,
gadgetpat