[Nottingham] Firewall and port issue

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 09:58:27 BST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 15:13:00 gadget.pat wrote:
> The main reason I had not looked IN apache was because all the info from
> the ZM forums said you didnt have to change anything in the apache
> setup. You DO if you don't use port 80 for the port forwarding. Port 80
> is used by my router which I need to change but was on my todo list.

Yes, I'd move that up the todo list to nearer the top! Otherwise expect a
brute-force attack as soon as someone discovers it! I'd make the router HTTP
interface only accessible from within the LAN and use port-knocking or a
crazy high port number in the 40000's (security by obscurity!) for SSH into
the LAN from which you'll still be able to access it from the outside (if you
get what I mean). That's what I do and it seems at least OK!

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Parkinson's Fourth Law:
	The number of people in any working group tends to increase