[Nottingham] SanDisk

Ron Wilton ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 21:06:00 BST 2007

Hello James

Thanks for your helpful reply. However, I don't think I've understood what you've told me too well as I'm not able to get to the files on the disk. I wondered if you could help me further, please?

I've done the following:-

1) added the following line to the end of /etc/fstab

/dev/smartcard1      /mnt/smartcard vfat user,noauto 0 0

2) created the following directory by using

$ sudo mkdir /mnt/smartcard

3) restarted the computer

4) plugged in the Card Reader with the SmartMedia disk already inserted

At this point I'm expecting to see an icon on the screen with which to enable me to access the photos, but nothing has happened.

(Note: I'm not sure if this is relevant but this device has four removable drives)

Thanks

Ron

James Gibbon <jg at jamesgibbon.com> wrote: On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:26:11 +0100 (BST)
Ron Wilton  wrote:

> Hello
>
> I think that I might have been a little bit hasty and bought a
> SanDisk ImageMate USB 2.0 12-in-1 Card Reader/Writer thinking that it
> was just as easy as plug in and an image will come onto the screen on
> which I could view/download photos on the SmartMedia card that I
> have. This hasn't happened. Can anyone help me, please? I'm using
> Ubuntu Linux 7.04 Fiesty Fawn.

Hi Ron,

Card readers work in a very similar way to USB memory sticks, so it
has to be mounted in order to get at the files. You may find that your
distro does this for you, but in any case - type dmesg when you plug it
in (with SmartMedia card inserted), and you might see something
roughly like:

  Vendor: Generic   Model: USB SD Reader     Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb

In this case, the card reader is recognised as /dev/sdb, and if I had
a card inserted, that would be /dev/sdb1.

The filesystem on the card will be VFAT.

I find that a custom udev rule helps a lot - so that I always have a
consistently named device I can mount to get at photos on the card,
and my fstab entry is:

/dev/smartcard1      /mnt/smartcard vfat user,noauto 0 0

.. facilitated by the following UDEV rule:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{serial}=="2004888", KERNEL=="sd*", NAME="%k",
SYMLINK="smartcard%n"

.. which recognises the card on the basis of its serial number:

sauce:~> cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/2
   Host scsi2: usb-storage
       Vendor:
      Product: USB Reader