[Nottingham] SanDisk

Ron Wilton ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 15:36:52 GMT 2007

Thanks to James and Dean for trying to help me get my SanDisk card reader up and running way back in the summer. I've eventually got it sorted out today, under Ubuntu.

 In the end the problem lay with the card I was using to get things running. I had a spare 2MB card that I was using to test the reader, not the 8MB that I usually use in the camera (it had some important pictures on it that I didn't want to run the risk of loosing). Clearly, the reader could not read the smaller card (I assume the reader wasn't designed to), but it could read the larger one without any problem.

 Thanks again for your help. Even though it didn't sort the problem it has helped me understand Linux that little bit better.

 Ron

James Gibbon <jg at jamesgibbon.com> wrote: On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:48:37 +0100 (BST)
Ron Wilton  wrote:

> Hi James
>
> Here's the transcript:-
>
> ron at ron-desktop:~$ cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/0
> Host scsi0: usb-storage
> Vendor: SanDisk
> Product: ImageMate 14 in 1 Reader/Writer
> Serial Number: 0000000000
> Protocol: Transparent SCSI
> Transport: Bulk
> Quirks:
>
> There was only the one file in this directory.

Thanks, Ron.

Now I appreciate from other replies in this thread that there are other
ways to skin this particular cat, but this one should work, and will
tie in with the entry you've already added to fstab.

As root, create a file called 10-local.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d,
containing the following line:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{serial}=="0000000000", KERNEL=="sd*", NAME="%k",
SYMLINK="smartcard%n"

If you already have a file of that name there, then just add the line
to it. That's a single line by the way, in case my mailer has split it.

Now, once you've done that, remove the USB connection to the reader if
it's plugged in, then reconnect it (with the memory card in the slot).

You should find that a device called /dev/smartcard1 turns up .. can
you let us know if that happens?

James