[Nottingham] Broken Kubuntu during feisty to gutsy upgrade

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 12:46:32 GMT 2007

daveluff wrote:
[---]
> since it selects the OS in the grub screen OK, but somewhere during the
> text output during the Linux boot, the num-lock light goes out, and
> that's it - it's pretty hard to find out what's happened without the
> keyboard - I can't even log in to read the logs!
[---]

Corrupt or incomplete /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

Boot into single user or boot with no graphics and try from the root
commandline:

Xorg -configure

       -configure
 When this option is specified, the Xorg server loads all  video
 driver  modules,  probes for available hardware, and writes out
 an initial xorg.conf(5x) file based on what was detected.  This
 option  currently  has  some problems on some platforms, but in
 most cases it is a good  way  to  bootstrap  the  configuration
 process.   This option is only available when the server is run
 as root (i.e, with real-uid 0).

Have you initialised for the wrong type of keyboard?

Good luck!

martin at ml1.co.uk