[Nottingham] Broken Kubuntu during feisty to gutsy upgrade

daveluff daveluff at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 9 18:08:32 GMT 2007

Martin wrote:

>daveluff wrote:
>[---]
>

>>since it selects the OS in the grub screen OK, but somewhere during the
>>text output during the Linux boot, the num-lock light goes out, and
>>that's it - it's pretty hard to find out what's happened without the
>>keyboard - I can't even log in to read the logs!
>>

>[---]
>
>Corrupt or incomplete /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
>
>Boot into single user or boot with no graphics and try from the root
>commandline:
>
>Xorg -configure

I don't think it's an X problem - I get no keyboard even in single user
mode.  I think it's something pretty early in the startup sequence,
before X is started.

[---]

>Have you initialised for the wrong type of keyboard?

Well, it was working before.  It's a fairly standard keyboard - an MS
natural PS2 one, but before all the multimedia cr%p got added, so
effectively it's a bog standard PS2 keyboard.

The only possible clue I have, is that previously I'd get the same
symptoms in Feisty if I tried booting without the router and modem
switched on.  I wish I'd investigated further then now!

I'll have a google...

>Good luck!

Thanks!

Cheers - Dave