[Nottingham] Dell disappointment

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Dec 9 13:59:45 GMT 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 01:32:43PM +0000, Simon Osborne wrote:
> Dell simply just pre-install Ubuntu on the laptops.

Dell work quite closely with Canonical on the software install. They have
also developed their own system for customising installs to take into
account the different chipsets in machines, and installing the right bits.

Clearly there is a problem with that, whether it's a fault of Ubuntu or Dell
it's difficult to tell without more detail from the original poster IMO.

> If it didn't
> display correctly until you installed a random DEB file, then the
> fault surely lies with Ubuntu?

At a wild guess I'd suspect that it was the install of a newer (intel) video
driver (rather than the i810) deb file which resides in the repository.

Although if the OP installed a "random" deb from somewhere else then that's
up to them, but there's no reason the problem could not be resolved via
standard tools.

Cheers,
Al.