[Nottingham] Tux Games Antispam - Your message is being held

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 10 09:17:09 GMT 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 03:19:44AM +0000, Michael Simms wrote:
> > On 09/12/2007, Chris Burton <Chris at 7of9b.org> wrote:
> > > Yum yum..
> > >
> > > Another sample to add to my Challenge Response ClamAV signature file :)
> > > Why do people think C/R solves their problem without thinking about the poor
> > > recipients of the spam it creates.
>
> Actually I did think about it. I decided if someone was sending an email
> to me, they could spend 20 seconds longer, or why should I bother
> reading it.

Maybe because, as in this instance, it might be being sent to you
for your benefit, you selfish little man.

Or maybe you are receiving mail that has had the sender forged
(which is extremely common) so you'll end up bombarding
previously-uninvolved people with your challenges.

I assume you have coordinated with every other C/R vendor on the
Internet as well to ensure that your solution plus one or more
others cannot get into a massive feedback loop of C/R challenges.

> I also spent days making as sure as I possibly could that it
> wouldn't do what it has done, and when anyone writes a bugfree
> piece of software they can come tell me about it.

C/R is fundamentally broken; there is no way to do it right, but
congratulations on doing it very very badly.

Shockingly selfish, short-sighted and clueless.

Andy