[Nottingham] Tux Games Antispam - Your message is being held

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 14:45:43 GMT 2007

Hi Martin,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 02:16:16PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> Andy Smith wrote:
> Andy: Sorry, but you've not convinced me other than for your blind
> religion of anti-CR. (This is a personal direct response being as, you
> Andy, seem to be incapable of discussing an *argument* rather than
> immediately throwing fire and brimstone and mud on the /messenger/.)

Are you sure that's not what you're doing right now?

> [---]
> > Agreed; that body of people is in fact the entire email-using
> > Internet since he has no control over who will receive his
> > C/R challenges.  The spammers control that by choosing whose
> > addresses they forge when sending spam to him.
> [---]
>
> The spammers usually exercise no control nor restraint in how they spray
> their muck around for everyone else to clear up for them.

Yes, which is why just trusting the email addresses they give you is
never going to work..

> This aspect in no way excuses use of any or all or whatever
> counter-measures. However, what responses are there that are practical
> and work for heavily targeted addresses whereby *every real mail* is
> *precious*?

It's a big subject field and one size does not fit all.  In this
thread I am only discussing C/R.

> Andy: Are you capable of any reasoned /perspective/ on CR? (Note: This
> is no comment on whether CR itself is good or bad.)

I have already given you what I believe to be the only reasoned and
reasonable persepctive.

> Andy: Have you got a /workable/ solution to rid the World of spam /at
> source/? (No need for anti-spam and certainly no need for CR then...)

No such FUSSP exists, as far as I know, and I don't see how one
could.

(http://www.claws-and-paws.com/fussp.html)

Cheers,
Andy