[Nottingham] Tux Games Antispam - Your message is being held

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Dec 11 14:43:18 GMT 2007

Hi Martin,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 02:16:16PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> Andy: Sorry, but you've not convinced me other than for your blind
> religion of anti-CR.

Andy has already repeatedly given reasoned argument as to why he thinks CR
is broken. It's not blind religion, but based on evaluating the effects of
using CR surely?

> The spammers usually exercise no control nor restraint in how they spray
> their muck around for everyone else to clear up for them.

So that makes it okay for someone implementing a CR system to do the same?

> So... Where do I complain for the (one?) spammer that sent me over 1000
> offers for Via*** all on one day?
>
> This aspect in no way excuses use of any or all or whatever
> counter-measures. However, what responses are there that are practical
> and work for heavily targeted addresses whereby *every real mail* is
> *precious*?
>

> Andy: Have you got a /workable/ solution to rid the World of spam /at
> source/? (No need for anti-spam and certainly no need for CR then...)

It seems like you're trying to goad Andy into admitting there is no perfect
anti-spam system so that you can claim that CR is a valid solution. We all
know there's no perfect solution, but that doesn't make CR any less broken.

Cheers,
Al.