[Nottingham] Tux Games Antispam - Your message is being held

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Tue Dec 11 15:11:47 GMT 2007

> And I too have got my "anti-spam" set to automatically discard all
> bounce messages.

milter-null is a bit smarter than just discading them all, it tags mail that
flows out of my mailservers with X-Null-Tag in the header, this then gets
checked on any bounces that include enough of the header to find it, if they
do then the bounce gets let in.

Downsides to milter-null IMO
1)Its not foolproof as some bounces still dont include the full header - but
when you get 1000's a day its less of a concern
2)You do need sendmail though or postfix I think
3)All outbound mail needs to be tagged if you want to see legit bounces
4)It phones home which some might not like it
5+)Stuff I've forgot

>> If C/R worked at the SMTP level and just rejected the message and told
>> the user to click on X link it would be a better solution IMO but the
>> problem is how the errors get reported back to the user... most of them
>> would never see the real reason for the rejection.
>
> Now that's a neat idea...

If the day had more hours I'd be tempted to code something up to see how
many people could see how to ack a C/R sent this way. It wouldn't be the
ideal answer but better than the current bunch (unless I've missed an
implementation that does this and also straight out rejects any mail that
fails SPF).

ChrisB.