[Nottingham] Virus warnings as Microsoft launches Vista

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 15:19:54 GMT 2007

Martin Garton wrote:
>> This means that more application data should be actively cached into all
>> available memory (SuperFetch), whether that is physical RAM or a USB
>> Flash memory device (ReadyBoost). Microsoft's goal was to create
>> balanced performance by removing delays in everyday work."
>
> Caching hard drive data on flash is new I think.  For general purpose
> use I can't see the point but on a laptop it sounds good for keeping the
> HD use as low as possible.

Good point but...

1: Flash has a limited number of bit write cycles before failure;

2: Are there not already laptop HDDs that have large cache memory on
them so that the disks can stay spun down for longer and so save on
bettery power?

Aside: There is/was talk of the Windows OS being stored into dedicated
flash ROMs for speedier bootup.

martin at ml1.co.uk