[Nottingham] Odd Mandrake problems

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Feb 5 16:11:45 GMT 2007

Richard Davies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anyone feel like a challenge helping me to sort out problems with Mandrake
> probably version 8 something.

That version is /very/ long in the tooth. An _old_ friend perchance?

> Friend has just contacted me from Australia asking me to sort out her box, she
[---]
> Any other ideas and suggestions most welcome so I can print them out and post
> them SNAIL MAIL
>
> I can see this is going to be a long drawn out debugging session.

Easiest could be to post a MandrivaOne CD out there and let her get
whatever she wants off that machine to somewhere safe.

If it's all been running without problem for a very long time, then
quite possibly you are seeing strange events due to HDD problems or some
other hardware failure.

With such a long tortuous debug route, easiest is to just retrieve
whatever data onto a secure backup and then try a reinstall.

Otherwise, go over there for a holiday?

Or ship the base unit back here for hands-on attention?

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk