[Nottingham] Odd Mandrake problems

Richard Davies richard at tollyboy.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 4 19:38:41 GMT 2007

Hi,

anyone feel like a challenge helping me to sort out problems with Mandrake
probably version 8 something.

Friend has just contacted me from Australia asking me to sort out her box, she
doesn't know what she has except that it is Linux Mandrake. Told her to join
her local LUG but she says there isn't one, she can't get online so there
would be no point, she has no transport so she couldn't go the meetings if
there were any and she can't reinstall because she will lose work, so can I
help her.

Problem as described

Runs though self test OK
Gets to LILO where she claims she clicks on start Linux or clicks on start
Failsafe.

(Been years since I saw a Mandrake box but I didn't think that was a graphical
screen)
System starts OK until it gets to the login screen where screen flickers and
shows 5 login dialogue boxes. Impossible to get any further.

Seems to me that it must be a problem with XFree86.conf.

I suggest that she boots linux -single
dmesg to see if there is anything obvious there.

Then if nothing she finds out what hardware she has and runs x86config

Any other ideas and suggestions most welcome so I can print them out and post
them SNAIL MAIL

I can see this is going to be a long drawn out debugging session.

Richard.