[Nottingham] Odd Mandrake problems

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Feb 5 23:48:20 GMT 2007

Richard Davies wrote:
> On Monday 05 February 2007 16:11, Martin wrote:
[---]
>> That version is /very/ long in the tooth. An _old_ friend perchance?
>
> You could say that, also extremely computer illiterate!!!!
>
>>> Friend has just contacted me from Australia asking me to sort out her
>>> box, she
>> [---]
>
>>> Any other ideas and suggestions most welcome so I can print them out and
>>> post them SNAIL MAIL
>
>>> I can see this is going to be a long drawn out debugging session.
>
>> Easiest could be to post a MandrivaOne CD out there and let her get
>> whatever she wants off that machine to somewhere safe.
>
> Is there any way to back up with one CD drive no floppy and no network
> connection. I can't think of one off hand but then I have never used the
> MandrivaOne CD can you boot that and then use the same drive to write CDs?
> Even if you can it might not be possible as I am not even sure she has a CD
> writer it could just be a reader.
[---]
> Quite likely, also she has an erratic power supply so crashes due to power
> cuts are quite possible and with no journaling file system or UPS that could
> be nasty or she has put a new monitor or similar on and not told me.
[---]
> Nice idea but financial impractical.
[---]
>> Good luck,
[---]
> Thanks I can see I am going to need it.

Errrrrrrr... "No network connection", "extremely computer illiterate",
"SNAIL MAIL", "one CD drive no floppy and no network"...

This sounds rather like the Monty Python scene where the Black Knight is
/still/ arbitrarily defending an insignificant bridge lost in the depths
of the forest even though he has just had all his arms and legs chopped
off by the Good King Arthur (King of The Britons)...

"C'mon then, what are ye waitin' fur? I'll head butt you to death!"

OK... Sooooo.....  ... (!) ...

My best suggestion is...

Careful timing considering sleep patterns, the rotation of The Earth,
position of the sun, and telco charges (or whatever their 'special offers');

(Possible consideration of the significance of the phase of the moon
depending on the maturity of said female friend...);

Prior posting of a VFAT formatted 2 GByte USB flash memory drive;

Also prior posting of a MandrivaOne LiveCD (and a DSL LiveCD as backup);

EXPLICIT step-by-step instructions;

A dry run yourself of the "EXPLICIT step-by-step instructions";

Whatever supply of your favourite beverage/drink;

A VERY BIG "DO NOT DISTURB SIGN";

A very comfortable repose before dialing her number;

And good luck.

[And paraphrasing a certain well know TV series and films] "These
instructions will self destruct in 5 seconds."

May the (empathy) force be with you!
Martin

(Or, ship her a new pre-loaded PC?)

martin at ml1.co.uk