[Nottingham] Odd Mandrake problems

Richard Davies richard at tollyboy.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 14:16:27 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 09:14, Michael Erskine wrote:

> On Sunday 04 February 2007 19:38, Richard Davies wrote:
> > Friend has just contacted me from Australia asking me to sort out her
> > box, she doesn't know what she has except that it is Linux Mandrake. Told
> > her to join her local LUG but she says there isn't one, she can't get
> > online so there would be no point, she has no transport so she couldn't
> > go the meetings if there were any and she can't reinstall because she
> > will lose work, so can I help her.
>
> OK, your friend doesn't know of a local Linux User Group (and in Aus
> "local" extends a lot further than in the UK) but there probably is local
> net access, and perhaps even a local Linux user. Give us some idea of how
> remote her location is - this is likely to be more an issue of
> communications channels and willingness on her part to get involved.

She doesn't know of a local LUG I have just Googled for one and the closest I
can find is TASLUG in Hobart which would from memory put her about 150 miles
away. She doesn't have a car so 300 mile round trip on the bus with computer
is probably not going to work.

> She should be able to identify and possibly fix any problem with Knoppix of
> similar bootable CD distro and some instruction, possibly by phone.

That is what I am thinking I am just wondering where would be the best place
to start looking for this error, before I start running up phone calls.

Regards
Richard.