[Nottingham] HELP! BIOS chip programmer

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 23:33:10 GMT 2007

Simon Osborne wrote:
> On 2/27/07, Cam <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:
>> Martin
>>
>> > Anyone able to easily reflash a BIOS flash chip?
>> >
>> > I've got one scrambled BIOS and an identical motherboard with a good
>> > BIOS version in there. Anyone with the programmer to copy the good
>> > version across?
>>
>> I've heard that it might be possible to remove the working chip from a
>> running board, insert the blank one, then program it. A 'hot swap'
[---]

> It does work. You just need to get through the standard bios checks,
> then boot the flash disk. Before flashing swap the chips over and
> flash the bad chip. I've done it once, and it did work. But you need
> to have identical chips.

Looks like I'm going to have to do that.

Just spent a chunk of the evening very interestingly checking datasheets
to try a prom programmer on the job and... I'm completely disgusted that
other manufacturers' parts with EXACTLY the same part number are
significantly incompatible!

The programmer didn't support the manufacturer for that part number or
the EXACT part number for that manufacturer for the FLASH. The other
manufacturers' identical part numbers (except for the manufacturer) are
incompatible for their operation and even have different pin layouts!!
Frustratingly silly.

So next, a really stiff mug of coffee, some fishing line to wrap behind
the chip for the "hot swap" and...

martin at ml1.co.uk