[Nottingham] HELP! BIOS chip programmer

Richard Morris richard at tannery.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 08:16:51 GMT 2007

Martin wrote:
> Anyone able to easily reflash a BIOS flash chip?
>
> I've got one scrambled BIOS and an identical motherboard with a good
> BIOS version in there. Anyone with the programmer to copy the good
> version across?

Martin,

Have a look at the motherboard manual, most motherboards support boot
block recovery (or at least they used to),  where you can flash a 'dead'
motherboard by putting a copy of the BIOS on a floppy disk. There is
usually a bit of firmware on the motherboard that just handles the BIOS
and floppy drive that enables you to reflash the BIOS with a good ROM
image, however there is usually no video whilst doing this, just beep
codes. AMI based BIOS' are reasonably straight forward, and can usually
be flashed using a ROM file renamed amiboot.rom, Award BIOS' require a
dos based boot disk, with an autoexec.bat file and the flash utility on too.

Good Luck!!

Richard