[Nottingham] TALK: Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 23:07:52 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 15:55 +0000, Martin Garton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would just like to draw your attention to a talk I will be giving next
> week:

Oh no! Not at work that day, but now I have a Baha'i meeting, a PTA
committee meeting and the LUG all on the same evening! It's just not
fair!

OK, though. Some thoughts. I have been using databases for well over 25
years, starting with SIR/SQL at university, then Informix, MySQL, and
DB2 in that order.

Keeping it simple, I would still mention/discuss a) normalisation and b)
referential integrity. Normalised databases are so important as they
allow the design to be easily expanded (Just think what would happen if
you allowed two phone numbers on a personal record, then someone comes
along with three or more!) I have just spent the last few months
wrestling with a badly designed/inflexible database (i.e. read not
normalised).
Integrity follows on from normalisation.

Godfrey Nix <godfrey at gnnix.co.uk>